Based on regulations adopted by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), dental practices are required to submit one-time compliance reports to attest to the installation of amalgam separators and adhere to best management practices (BMPs) for amalgam waste. Even if your dental practice is exempt from installing an amalgam separator, you may be required to file a one-time compliance report.
Existing dental practices have a deadline of July 14, 2020 to install a compliant amalgam separator. The one-time compliance report must be filed by October 12, 2020. However, new dental practices and those who transfer ownership have been required to be compliant since July 14, 2017. In those jurisdictions that have approved pretreatment programs, dental practices must file this one-time compliance report directly with the control authority. In other jurisdictions, dental practices will file directly with the EPA.
Are You in Compliance?
Install a compliant amalgam separator
(DEADLINE: July 14, 2020 for existing dental practices; already in effect for new dental practices)
- Confirm with your separator supplier that the separator is compliant with ANSI/ADA Specification 108 (2009/2011) or ISO 11143 Standard (2008)
- An already installed amalgam separator in your practice is grandfathered if it does not meet the above standards until June 14, 2027 or the unit’s replacement date, whichever comes first
- Offices exempt from installing an amalgam separator include:
- Specialties of oral pathology, oral and maxillofacial radiology, oral and maxillofacial surgery, orthodontics, periodontics or prosthodontics
- Mobile dental unites
- Dentists on septic systems
- Dentists who do not place amalgam and only remove amalgam in unplanned or emergency situations (must be less than 5% of procedures performed in the office)
- Even if your office is exempt form installing an amalgam separator, you may still be required to file a compliance report with your wastewater district.
- SolmeteX is the CDA’s endorsed amalgam separator distributor and provides CDA member pricing. SolmeteX provides amalgam separators, installation support and waste disposal/recycling services. Get more information.