August 10, 2010
The CDA extends our deepest condolences to the friends and family of Dr. Tom Grams, who was tragically killed during a humanitarian medical mission in Afghanistan last Thursday. Dr. Grams was an active member of the CDA for many years – retiring four years ago to make the transition to full-time humanitarian dental work. Several news sources have honored Dr. Grams and his work, including the Denver Post, the Durango Herald and the ADA News.
A memorial service for Dr. Grams will be held at 2:00 p.m. on Sunday, August 15 at the Smiley Building in Durango.
Obituary – Cease Family Funeral Homes
Includes additional details on the memorial service, memorial contributions and instructions for cards of sympathy. In addition, there is a guest book available for memorials and tributes at the Cease Family Funeral Homes website. Click here and select Dr. Thomas L. Grams under “Obituaries.”
- The Colorado Foundation of Dentistry for the Handcapped (CFDH) recognized Dr. Grams for his outstanding service to the organization during his years of dental practice in Colorado. Dr. Grams was an active volunteer with CFDH’s Donated Dental Service (DDS) program.
Major Media Coverage
- August 8, 2010 – The Durango Herald: Durango dentist killed in Afghanistan
- August 9, 2010 – Denver Post: Durango dentist died doing what he loved, friends and family say
- August 9, 2010 – ADA News: Volunteer dentist killed in Afghanistan
- August 9, 2010 – Dr. Bicuspid: Colo. dentist among 10 volunteers killed in Afghanistan
- August 10, 2010 – Minneapolis Star Tribune: Minnesotan among aid workers slain in Afghanistan
- August 16, 2010 – NPR: Durango Honors Dentist Slain in Afghan Aid Attack